Endodontics in Panama

If you are interested in scheduling an appointment for Endodontics in Panama or request information, please send us your information to contact you.

The highly trained endodontists at Dental One diagnose and treat complex causes of tooth pain, such as tooth abscesses or nerve inflammation.

We perform root canal treatments and other procedures to relieve the pain by using advanced techniques to treat the dental pulp and root tissues.

The focus is on relieving your toothache while saving your natural tooth structure, whenever possible.

What Is Tooth Pulp?

Tooth pulp is the nerves, blood vessels and other tissues deep inside each tooth that keeps it hydrated and receptive.

The pulp, or connective tissue inside teeth, plays an important role in helping children’s teeth develop as they grow.

Tooth decay or a cracked tooth can lead to pulpitis (an transitory or irreversible inflammation; the latter may lead to infection).

Pulpitis often causes a painful toothache, and it can sometimes lead to a serious health problem that requires urgent medical attention.

Cross section of Human tooth with endodontic file isolated on white. 3d illustration

What Does an Endodontist Do?

Endodontists specialise in diagnosing complex causes of tooth pain. They also perform other dental procedures, including:

  • Endodontic retreatment by removing and replacing biocompatible materials used during a previous root canal that did not heal properly.
  • Emergency dental surgery including complex dental injuries or treating severe tooth infections.
  • Tooth extraction surgery when the teeth tissues are too severely damaged to be saved.
  • Specialised surgery such as the removal of the tip of a tooth’s root.

What Do Endodontists Treat?

Our endodontists primarily treat tissues that have undergone damage from some of the following causes:

  • Tooth decay, such as an untreated cavity from plaque that damages a tooth’s root tissues.
  • Tooth abscess, a build-up of pus that forms when bacteria gets inside your tooth or gums.
  • Tooth injuries due to trauma
  • Cracked tooth when a crack extends to a tooth’s pulp tissue.

How Does an Endodontist Test a Tooth?

Our endodontist may check your symptoms by performing one or more tests:

  • Dental X-rays capture clear details of tooth structures.
  • Dental tomography for a more detailed view of the affected theeth.
  • Hot or cold swabs touching the affected tooth test your tooth’s sensitivity.
  • Tapping on teeth may provide clues to what tooth is affected and how far inflammation has spread, especially if your teeth are sensitive to the tapping.

During root canal treatment, your endodontist will:

  • Place a dental dam over your tooth to isolate the affected area and protect your mouth from infection.
  • Accesses the pulp tissue from the top or behind your affected tooth.
  • Removes damaged or diseased pulp tissue.
  • Cleans and disinfects the area inside a tooth.
  • Fills and seals the tooth with a biocompatible material.

You may need a crown (metal or porcelain covering) on top of your tooth to fully protect and restore your repaired tooth and to diminish possible risk of fracture.  After root canal surgery, you may need to follow up appointment with your dentist.

How Is Root Canal Surgery Performed?

Our endodontists use an operating microscope and sophisticated tools to repair tissues inside a tooth. During root canal surgery you will receive local anaesthesia to numb the inside of your mouth for your comfort.

When Should I Book an Appointment with An Endodontist at Dental One?

Book an appointment with an endodontist if you have:

  • Lingering tooth pain.
  • Unexplained pain in your mouth or jaw.
  • Teeth that are sensitive to heat, cold or sweet foods.
  • Inflammation near affected teeth or gums.
  • Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
  • Redness or swelling in your mouth that expands to your cheek
  • Although, usually, it’s better to check with our general dentist in order to perform a proper diagnostic of the situation and channel you to the right specialist.